Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Sim Lim Square and A Shop Owner Story.

Whenever I drop by Sim Lim Square, I'd meet up with a friend of mine who owns a computer repair shop to chat, catch up, and see how he is doing. From when I was a young boy fresh from O-levels to the person I am now, he still looks the same, speaks the same, and now is married with two young kids. I admire him for his ability to connect with customers, living up to the friendly computer repair guy reputation. And unlike me, his patience is out of this world, and he is a role model in customer service.

He told me how things have changed in Sim Lim Square since the 2008 recession. Now, most of the repair shops are owned by Indian and China nationals. This influx of 'foreign talent' cause more harm than good, and he admits that they are tough competition. These businessmen are able to cut costs by importing cheaper goods from their home country, and employing 'foreign talent.' I asked why he didn't do the same and try to replicate their success. But alas he has tried and failed.

What I find interesting is that although he is Chinese by race, and able to converse in Mandarin, he is unable to communicate and earn the trust of the Chinese nationals, and subsequently do business with them. The business culture there is cut throat, and 'dirty.' He cites, that their goods are cheap, but warns me that in a container worth of electronic goods, a quarter or up to a half of them are faulty.

I think the government is making the right move by reducing the import of foreign talent. However, if Singapore's total fertility rate remains at 1.16, bringing in foreign talent is inevitable. Sometimes, I just wonder, whether our priorities as Singaporeans are right.

MrWiseGuy advises ALL Singaporeans to prioritise their lives in the following order:
1) Make Babies
2) Make Babies
3) Make Babies (That makes 3 babies, well above the recommended TFR of 2.1)
4) Maintain happy family, religion
5) Work
6) IPPT/RT/ICT (If not, sure kena charge)

No comments: