Friday, October 19, 2012

Batam I&C Attachment

Last Monday, as of the 15th October 2012, a member of staff came up to me and said "Pack up and get ready for I&C at Batam tomorrow. Duration 4-6 months."

Friday, 19th October 2012. Fourth day here and it has been an eventful attachment. In many ways, its like GIP India all over again. I'll be here with a group of friends (minus the ladies), sweating it out in the shipyards of Batam. I'm in a 3 man team, but for the first week, I am alone to recce the area and understand how things work. When the others come over, they'd settle right in.

On another note, things hasn't been too kind outside work. I shifted rooms twice already. From 1207 to 4810 to now XX01. First the aircon stopped working. After I shifted, the elevator wasn't working and I was stuck in the lift for 5mins+. Changed again to this current room and I'm happy. :) 

Life as an expat is really something. I was quite shocked and finally begin to understand why people do not like to be sent overseas for work. In the morning I wake up, have breakfast and off to work. After 12 hours there, I return to my room and have some me time for 4 hours after which I sleep for the remaining 8 hours. There's really no work life balance and essentially you're a company representative for the duration of the job.

Well, I'm all alone now watching 'Battle Los Angeles' on TV. Got some reports to do, and sleep soon!

I'll try to update this blog as often as I can now that I'm in Batam.

No comments: