Friday, October 26, 2012

Hari Raya Haji 2012

I've always love sunsets. It is one of the few things that I look forward to everyday after work. And yesterday's sunset was no different.

The rays from the sun felt warm and real as it pierced through the porthole at my cabin door. The whirr of grinding machines and grunts of men working on the the decks below formed the soundtrack that accompanied the moment. The odd gawking of seagulls above sporadically peppering the music when a sudden realisation came to me amidst the cacophony.

I realise I'm an adult now. An adult who is responsible for himself and his own safety. And like all men working on the rig, we have loved ones and partners back home. And to be away from them on a very Islamic holiday, drives the message home that indeed, life is tough. The quest to survive drove me to a foreign land, just so that I could have a future, a home, a wife and children to love.

I'm happy. 

It is the future which is driving me now. And I'm thankful to Allah for being so merciful to me. 

Alhamdulillah.

No comments: